Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS)
What is VTOS?
VTOS consists of a range of courses designed to meet the educational and training needs of unemployed people allowing them to gain nationally recognised qualifications (click here for details) and avail of further career and employment support
How can people join the scheme
The scheme is open to people who are
- Aged 21 or over.
- In receipt of job seekers allowance or job seekers benefit or signing for credits for at least 6 months or In receipt of one-parent family payment, disability allowance, disability benefit* or invalidity pension for at least six months or are a dependent spouse for at least six months (Periods spent on FAS training courses, Community Employment schemes, Job Initiative and Youthreach/Senior Traveller Training Centre programmes or time in prison, can count towards this six month qualifying period but a person must be getting one of the relevant social welfare payments immediately before the course commencement date)
The following categories are also eligible to apply for VTOS provided they are at least 21 years of age and can satisfy the Department of Social & Family Affairs that they have not been engaged in work for at least six months and are in receipt of one of the following payments
- Blind Persons pension.
- Deserted wives allowance.
- Deserted wives benefit.
- Widow/widower non-contributory pension.
- Widowers contributory pension.
- Prisoners wives allowance
People receiving disability benefit should first contact their Social Welfare Officer about exemption/entitlement to the continuation of their disability benefit payment).
Contact : Theresa McMullin (Coordinator) Further Education Centre, Chapel Street, Belmullet, Co. Mayo
Telephone : (097) 20901